Sunday, March 23, 2014

Called To Serve

Dear Elder Cordon,

You are hereby called to serve as a missionary of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. 
You are assigned to labor in the Washington Kennewick Mission. It is anticipated that you will serve 
for a period of 24 months. 

You should report to the Provo Missionary Training Center on Wedsnesday, May 21, 2014.

     This is what I read last night on the 22 of March.  As I was standing in the large theater room at The Hill Cumorah Visitors Center. The Holy Ghost was there with me, and after a brief testimony "I know this church is true". I started to read, as soon as I read the words Washington Kennewick Mission, the Holy Ghost comfirmed to me that was where I needed to be and to go. I felt such a comfort and feeling of joy that overwhelmed my whole body. 
    
     I am going on a mission. I have not ever wanted anything more in my whole life and to be able to have the opportunity is so unbelievably satisfying. This gospel is life changing and I get the opportunity to share it with the people of the Washington Kennewick area.  I know that this gospel is life changing because it has changed mine. I stand as a witness of the power of the atonement. I know that by keeping the commandments we are given gifts and knowledge unmatched by anything in this world; but only by strict adherence to the commandments of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.  

     Doctrine and Covenants, (D&C) a book of scripture containing revelations from the Lord to the Prophet Joseph Smith and other latter-day Prophets. Has a great chapter that spells out missionary work, D&C 4 a chapter that they have all missionary's memorize and all should read. To get you started here is D&C 4:1-3 "Now behold, a marvelous work is about to come forth amount the children of men. Therefore, O ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day. Therefore, if ye have a desires to serve God ye are called to the work;" 

     I have been called to the work. This has been a long work in progress, I first turned in my papers back in November of last year. With a few things needing to get done before I left, one of which was losing 30 lbs. I then had the opportunity to, learn and prepare, to accept and be ready, for this call that I was to receive. 

     Six months ago I first knew that a mission was going to be my future. I didn't realize then just how unprepared I was, but Heavenly Father did and he let me know.  He gave me the time I needed and the opportunities I needed to build me into the missionary that He needed.  Six months ago I knew that the gospel was true and I accepted that. I knew what the gospel could do to change a life. Although I needed to grow my testimony in the Book of Mormon, I needed to grow in the Holy Ghost, to be able to recognize His promptings and His influence. I needed to grow in my priesthood and to start using it again and to know of it's power that will be used as a missionary. 

     Through the experiences that I have been able to receive over the last six months which have all helped me grow and develop the attributes that I was lacking and needed to improve, I have been able to see miracles happen through the gospel already in just that short time.  I was able to share my testimony with a less active who is now, after working with the missionaries, working towards a mission. I was involved in the discussions with a young man, now new member, who has allowed the gospel to change his life and battle addictions.  I latter baptized and confirmed him, a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and gave him the gift of the Holy Ghost. What an amazing experience that was, seeing from start to finish the workings of the gospel.  The spirit that was present at that baptism was so strong. I was able to feel it working through me because of the beautiful power of the proper priesthood which I hold. 

     My purpose as a missionary is "Invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Chirst and His Atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end." (Preach My Gospel handbook) I am ready to be a missionary, I love this gospel so much. I know exactly what it can do in the lives of everyone. We are all children of our Heavenly Father who has nothing but love for us and a longing for us to return to Him. We have been given the blessings and truths of this gospel in our day and it is our responsibility, and obligation, to share it.  

Matthew 28:19-20. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen. 

 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment